Music guy

Discussion about Today's Daily Devotion. Remarks in this forum will post onto the Daily Devotion.
Cbethn@sbcglobal.net

Music guy

Post by Cbethn@sbcglobal.net »

Personally I do not care for today’s music choice. It seems to represent the self-centered, self-motivated “tumult” of the world around us, rather than the “peace” and serenity of worship that is prescribed and emulated in the Bible. I cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, picture Jesus or Peter, Paul, John, or any of the early Christians “worshipping” with such pagan abandon.

Re: Music guy

Post by Guest »

Psalm 47:1 says, "Clap your hands, all peoples! Shout to God with loud songs of joy". Psalm 33:3: "Sing to him a new song; play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts"
Psalm 150:5: "Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals!" Psalm 150:1-5: "Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre, 4 praise him with timbrel and dancing, praise him with the strings and pipe, 5 praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals"

I've got to say, whatever my personal taste in music, loud raucous music is approved by the Bible lol
Peteragot

Post by Peteragot »

I know the music from yesterday was not for everyone. But it did remind me of the Jesus Revolution of the 60's and the 70's. During that time, young people received Jesus as their Savior, were immersed during baptism, and received the Holy Spirit. They did this to turn from a life of sin, which for many meant a life of addiction. That redemption once received, usually translated into exuberant praise and worship, not in the traditional format, but in music more in tune with their generation. I believe what we saw in that clip yesterday, was very much the same as during that Jesus revolution, namely young people happy, dancing and shouting their praises to the Most High. Whether I liked that form of expression or not was inconsequential, I believe it was a sincere way of thanking God for transforming their lives. And in todays world, it is most refreshing to see young people doing that, and I saw and felt sincerity when watching them. And of course happiness, that they chose that path, rather than the path many other young people are choosing today.

Pete

Post by Guest »

How about 2 Sam 6:14-15? 14 And David danced before the Lord with all his might, wearing a priestly garment.[a] 15 So David and all the people of Israel brought up the Ark of the Lord with shouts of joy and the blowing of rams’ horns.
V.20 - 20 When David returned home to bless his own family, Michal, the daughter of Saul, came out to meet him. She said in disgust, “How distinguished the king of Israel looked today, shamelessly exposing himself to the servant girls like any vulgar person might do!”

21 David retorted to Michal, “I was dancing before the Lord, who chose me above your father and all his family! He appointed me as the leader of Israel, the people of the Lord, so I celebrate before the Lord. 22 Yes, and I am willing to look even more foolish than this, even to be humiliated in my own eyes! But those servant girls you mentioned will indeed think I am distinguished!”

I think the Holy Spirit can infuse anyone who opens their heart to Him or Her. Sometimes people are overwhelmed with joy by that and just have to move!
Neil M +++
5/9/24
cdosey

Post by cdosey »

I just had to forward to my son (married, father of 3) the list of verses proclaiming "make a loud noise", it just made me laugh! This son has always been on the edge of "extreme" in everything, including music choice. He can drive me crazy, and knows it! But he is such a delight to have around, and we have a lot of fun with our differences. I am glad I don't have to listen to his music, but I am constantly amazed by him, his biblical knowledge, and his rock solid testimony. (Two seekers showed up at his church Easter Sunday because of him!)
I was a middle school math teacher, and I have always said God sent this son along to humble me enough that I would be patient with the difficult students who came along; and it worked!! (His 2 older brothers are so practical in comparison!) I had to learn to accept very different ways of viewing things because I had a child who pushed way beyond my current limits. I know today he will enjoy the list of music verses, know why I sent it, and have a laugh too!!
I have not posted before, but need to add my gratefulness for Daily Prayer. My husband and I have both read Daily Prayer for many years, often generating conversations (and google searches!) about different topics, whether the scripture, Mason's notes, art, music, prayers, or Daily Inspiration. And some great thoughts in the comments section! Thanks for the list of music verses!
Cheryl
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Art, Music, Two of God's greatest Blessings and gifts he has bestowed within Me, as with All things filtered with the knowledge of Scripture and the magnificent Holy Spirit and God's will that leads My life."SING" appears in Scripture over 400 times in My Bible,50 of those are commands.
"Behold appears 1,298 times in Scripture, in the Greek the word is "EIDO"-which translated means: Be sure to see: Don't miss this'
Do not miss the gifts of either, I must run now, I have to paint and play my guitar a bit...Thank you Father for All your wonderful gifts of Life.