Discussing the apostles

Discussion about Today's Daily Devotion. Remarks in this forum will post onto the Daily Devotion.
lindaT

Discussing the apostles

Post by lindaT »

It never ceases to amaze me how little I know of the Bible I completely forgotten about the addition of Matthias and the discussion of the other apostles is just an added Delight.
Fox Eichhorst

Re: Discussing the apostles

Post by Fox Eichhorst »

Paul and the others were Fishermen.
They were illiterate, they could not read or write.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

"Paul and the others were Fishermen.
They were illiterate, they could not read or write."

Paul was educated and literate and not a fisherman, nor were many apostles. Plus, we of this age seem to think that because they did not go to a public school they had no education. Not true. They were educated by their parents, especially their mothers, and also by mentors. They also read from the Torah and spoke at the synagogues. Several wrote books of the Bible. John was one of those fisherman and wrote a gospel and several epistles. His prose was magnificent..."In the beginning was the word..."
admindp
Site Admin

Post by admindp »

Realize that talking about the apostles' literacy is almost all speculation. Matthew was literate -- Eusebius wrote that Matthew took notes of Jesus' sayings in "Hebrew" (probably Aramaic) -- and Paul was well-educated. All the others were blue-collar workers in a largely illiterate society, although even such people often know enough to read and write a few words.

Decades later, both John and Peter wrote eloquent letters. Either they learned excellent Greek or else they had help from assistants. It's hard to believe John wrote his gospel without help, I mean, Paul used scribes even though he could clearly read and write, why wouldn't John -- for many years the most eminent man in Christendom -- do the same?